Cyrus and Postfix question

Joakim Ryden jryden at thebox.our-own.net
Fri Jan 9 18:49:40 EST 2004

Jason Williams wrote:
[...]
> Then in my master.cf
>
> # Cyrus 2.1.5
> cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   user=cyrus argv=/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver -r ${sender} -m
> ${extension} ${user}
>
> So it envokes the cyrus deliver program.
> I see how that works.
> Just trying to find out more on the two options: advantages and
> disadvantages of both.

If you have any kind of traffic I would *NOT* use this option as any
Postfix calls to external programs will slow things down and eat far
more resources than necessary.

Generally speaking if Cyrus is running on the same machine as Postfix
the entry that you have is the best (mailbox_transport =
lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp).

LMTP over tcp works well if you have a setup like... firewall -> Postfix
server - Cyrus server, which is what I use. The Cyrus server as well as
the Postfix are on internal IPs, Postfix server has port 25 open and
Nat'ed from firewall, Cyrus server has IMAP and IMAP over SSL (ports 143
& 993 NAT'ed from firewall so (hopefully) no one should even know that
the LMTP tcp port is open on the Cyrus server. Even so I still use
password authentication for Postfix to deliver to the Cyrus box.

 >> In my case I wrote a wrapper around deliver that filters the mail
 >> through SpamAssassin.

Which would be better done using something like spampd or amavisd-new
and/or using Postfix advanced content filtering of course...

[...]

--Jo