individual User spamassassin settings during lmtp delivery

Romeo Benzoni romeo at benzoni.org
Tue Jan 20 03:45:11 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 04:30, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Romeo Benzoni wrote:
> > 1. is my approach wide of the mark or are there better, smarter
> > solutions to achieve this?  (I've read about people doing this using a
> > deliver wrapper which calls spamassassin and then deliver. but I don't
> > like this kind of "fork and exec orgies")
>
> I'm in your situation - some of my users _need_ spam filtering, others
> absolutely don't want it. I've found the best solution to be simply
> tagging messages using SpamAssassin (X-Spam-Flag: true|false) then
> letting filtering be done in sieve using a simple header check. It's
> even possible for users to pick different thresholds - one of my users
> likes 8 instead of the default 5, so they just use sieve to check if
> X-Spam-Score contains 8 or more asterisks. You can also use Junk
> mailboxes or instant spam deletion configured on a per-user basis this way.
>
> It wouldn't be hard to whip up a CGI script to do the sieve
> configuration for them but my site is not large I'm currently handling
> it manually.
>
> It's also possible for users to configure their clients to do
> client-side filtering, but server-side with sieve is much nicer.

thats exactly what im doing right now. user can specify a threshold in
their sieve filter (or in a Outlook Rule, or ...) and decide what to do
with a mail considered as spam (by a nonindividual serverside rule
set!). my point is, that I like to have the possibilty for users to take
influence on the decision what is considerd spam.

ex.

user1 at example.com:  like to have buy at now.com on the whitelist (never
treaten as spam)

user2 at example.com:	like to have buy at now.com on the blacklist