ReiserFS on a Linux mail server

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jan 20 09:43:22 EST 2004

Mike O'Rourke wrote:
> Please see this thread:
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=26746

Speaking of which, I think I've found the solution to the snapshot
issues. It appears that Sistina distribute a patch in the LVM sources to
fix this problem, but Red Hat (at least in version 8) don't include the
patch in their kernels. As a result, their kernels support LVM but have
problems taking snapshots of volumes containing journalling filesystems.

You can get the patch from the LVM sources at sistina.com
(ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM/1.0/ ). It's called
LVM/1.0.8/PATCHES/linux-$VERSION-VFS-lock.patch in the LVM tarball. I'll
be trying it on the server at work once I've tested it on my home
machine, but I thought I'd let you folks know now in case it's of use.

Off we go...

Craig Ringer