ReiserFS on a Linux mail server

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Tue Jan 20 09:33:06 EST 2004

This is really just my personnal opinion.  I have never used ReiserFS
myself (neither XFS, actually).  I am an happy user of ext3 since it
became mainstream.

ReiserFS is a (relatively) new design.  It have a very small user base
compared to ext3.  Ext3 is well-known and well-tested design.  FS
recovery tools for ext3 are mature and well-known by Linux sysadmin.  It
is backward-compatible with ext2.  It is the default on most Linux
distribution.

Personnally, unless I am experiencing a bottleneck I can trace back to
the FS, I would go for the conservative choice and opt for ext3.  Unless
you have a very large userbase (I would say 10K users, but it depend on
many factors), performance will probably not be an issue in your setup.
I can see no gain for you by going with ReiserFS.

If, for some reason, you really can't use ext3, I would go with the
second safest choice and use XFS (or JFS).  It's another proven design
that's been in use for many years, althought the Linux implementation is
relatively recent.

Just my 0,02$.  Nothing scientific here; it's just that when talking
about a service as critical as email, I prefer to stay on the safe side.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com