Migrate passwords from shadow to mysql

Shelley Waltz shwaltz at cabm.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 22 12:16:19 EST 2004

Ken, Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my new server is RH ES3 with all the most recent versions of
Cyrus imap/sasl/postfix/mysql ...

Where do I read about autotransition into the SQL auxprop plugin?
Does this mean that after I transition my existing users, I still
need to create /etc/shadow entries in order to esatblish new accounts
in thge mysql database.  I planned to use webcyradm to manage accounts.

thanks
Shelley

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:

   Shelley Waltz wrote:

   > I am installing a new postfix-cyrus mail server.
   > I currently have cyrus-imap 1.6.24 authing PLAIN
   > from /etc/shadow.
   >
   > I wish to migrate the passwords(md5) from the shadow file to
   > a mysql database and use this to auth PLAIN using TLS.
   > Is there a script available to do so - to migrate the users
   > from the shadow file and create the records for mysql authentication?
   >
   > I did search, but found nothing.

   First, I'd strongly suggest that you upgrade to a recent version of
   Cyrus, either 2.1.16 or 2.2.3.  To do this, you'll need a recent version
   of SASL (I'd suggest 2.1.17).  Then, you just configure Cyrus/SASL to
   authentication plaintext from /etc/shadow and have it autotransition
   passwords into the SQL auxprop plugin.