Problems with make all CFLAGS command

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jan 27 22:52:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 00:18, David Brown wrote:

> 1) Reboot to see if fresh SASL or BerkeleyDB may need
> it to work, then retry.

It's not your db environment, so there's probably not much point in
that.

> 2) Go ahead and start fresh with latest stable kernel
> (2.6?).  (Would this solve any problems?)

Well, it won't solve the problem you're currently having, no. If you're
having disk I/O throughput issues, read starvation with heavy write
activity, etc then it might. I'd be reluctant to use it in a production
server quite yet, though.

> 3) Change Makefile to add include (need to learn how).

I've remembered how I solved this last time. I didn't need to edit the
makefile, just RTFM:
	info gcc
to find:
`CPATH'
`C_INCLUDE_PATH'
`CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH'
`OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH'
     Each variable's value is a list of directories separated by a
     special character, much like `PATH', in which to look for header
     files.  The special character, `PATH_SEPARATOR', is
     target-dependent and determined at GCC build time.  For
     Windows-based targets it is a semicolon, and for almost all other
     targets it is a colon.

     `CPATH' specifies a list of directories to be searched as if
     specified with `-I', but after any paths given with `-I' options
     on the command line.  This environment variable is used regardless
     of which language is being preprocessed.

     The remaining environment variables apply only when preprocessing
     the particular language indicated.  Each specifies a list of
     directories to be searched as if specified with `-isystem', but
     after any paths given with `-isystem' options on the command line.

In other words, if you "export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/kerberos/include" and
run make again, it should find the missing header file and go merrily on
it's way. Sorry for the less-than-helpful suggestions previously -
hopefully this one will actually get it sorted out.

I'd personally love to know why '/usr/kerberos/include' isn't on the
standard include path for the compiler, given that it's required for
compiling against openssl - even if the app doesn't intend to use
kerberos.

Craig Ringer