Problem with LMTP and TLS

Josh Endries jendries at pragmeta.com
Thu Jan 29 10:40:17 EST 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:
> Are you running lmtpd qith the -a option (preauth)?  If so, then
> STARTTLS won't be offered, and you'll see AUTH EXTERNAL offered.
>
> Other than that, I can't think of any reason why imapd and pop3d would
> offer STARTTLS and lmtpd wouldn't.

Nope, can I test if POP3 offers STARTTLS via telnet? I know the commands
for IMAP/SMTP/LMTP. Here is my cyrus.conf:

lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0

This is what I get from telnet:

LHLO asd
250-imap.test.com
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250 IGNOREQUOTA

Maybe the LOGIN/PLAIN is screwing it up some how? I'm converting the
system (a test system) to use encrypted DB passwords, so I have to pass
stuff plain text through TLS. Here is my lmtpd.conf (I patched sasl2 to
use crypted mysql, it works with smtp, not sure if it's causing problems
here):

mech_list: plain login
log_level: 5
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: 127.0.0.1
sql_user: mail
sql_passwd: mail
sql_database: mail
sql_select: select password from users where user = '%u'
sql_usessl: yes
password_format: crypt
srp_mda: md5
allowplaintext: yes