unix hierarchy delimiter

Pieter Vanmeerbeek pv at able.be
Fri Jan 30 06:12:41 EST 2004

Hi,

We are running a linux from scratch system and use the cyrus delivery
agent.
One of our customers wants to use a '.' in the user names. I've search
the Internet and found the possibility to use the unix hierarchy
seperator as a delimiter and therefore allow '.'s in user names. I've
set ' unixhierarchysep: yes' in the imapd.conf config file but something
strange happens.
Mail is stored on the 'mail/' partition. Before enabling the option
subfolders  were created in 'mail/user/' per user , for example
'/mail/user/user.pieter'. With the option enabled I was expecting a
'mail/user/pieter.with.points' constructions, but I get
'mail/user^pieter^with^points' instead . The mailboxes are constructed
and a login is possible, but I can't access the INBOx folder :

*ERROR : Could not complete request.*
Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: Mailbox does not exist

Can anyone explain me what's wrong? This is our version information :

localhost> ver
name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.2.3 2004/01/14 02:11:03
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : Linux
os-version : 2.4.20-axs-3
environment: Built w/Cyrus SASL 2.1.17
             Running w/Cyrus SASL 2.1.17
             Built w/Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December
19, 2002)
             Running w/Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December
19, 2002)
             Built w/OpenSSL 0.9.6g 9 Aug 2002
             Running w/OpenSSL 0.9.6d 9 May 2002
             mmap = shared
             lock = fcntl
             nonblock = fcntl
             auth = unix
             idle = poll

thanks,
Pieter

--
Security check and anti-virus control on this e-mail has been done by aXs GUARD
(http://www.axsguard.com)