PAM Authentication error...

Emma Grant egra0627 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 1 06:31:59 EST 2004

Hi All,

I am running Cyrus Imap 2.2.3 on RH ES 3.0 using MySQL 3.23.58 as my
database so I can use my mail server with virtual domains (maildir).

I believe that I have configured everything correctly except I am
getting the error below when I check pop3 email:

do_auth         : auth failure: [user=me at mydomain.com] [service=pop]
[realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]
pop3[28753]: badlogin: my.ipaddress.location.etc plaintext
me at mydomain.com SASL(-13): authentication failure: checkpass failed

I know the error may be quite vague and it could be a number of things,
but, I remember reading something earlier today about if you are using
PAM authentication with SASLAUTHD then you should disable KERBEROS/KRB4
on you Cyrus config. For some reason it takes over the authentication
process???

I have been searching for the documentation that I passed by, with no
luck in finding it. If anyone could confirm the disabling of KERBEROS or
if you know the reason of why I am getting the above error. any help
would be appreciated.

I am positive that I am using the correct password that is in users
email accounts table in mysql, and I checked my mysql.log file and the
correct query is being run when checking for email.

Thanks,

Emma