Migrating from UW imap to Cyrus

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Feb 2 10:29:37 EST 2004

Hi,

> I'm in the process of moving from UW imap to Cyrus Imap.  Somewhere in
> my reading up on the compile/install/configure process I could have
> sworn that I saw something about some scripts that can be used to
> transfer my existing mbox mail folders into Cyrus.  Unfortuantely, now
> that I'm actually ready for that step, I don't seem to be able to find
> either the scripts or the reference to it.  Anybody have any idea what
> I'm talking about?

we just did a migration of 30,000 users this past weekend. Our approach was
not to try to do it perfect, but only "good enough". All we did
automatically was to copy the users' inboxes, not their personal
mailfolders. We give them tools to do that themselves. The main reason for
that decision was that it's near impossible to tell *where* users have
their folders. With UW imapd the home directory is the root of the tree.
Many users have "Mail" or "mail" as their mail folders, but essentially
it's just a guess. We knew, however, that all students had their INBOX in
their AFS home directories.

We also decided not to use mailutil, but to do it the dirty way. The reason
for that was that we thought using mailutil would take too long.

So here's what we did (all the users and INBOXes had been created in
advance):

- we mounted a AFS2NFS translator partition containing the home directories
(the new server doesn't use AFS)

- we then ran an overhauled version of inboxfer, a Perl script that uses
formail to split mboxes in separate mail files

- finally we ran reconstruct on the folders and did a "quota -f"

That's it. It took about 9 hours for the 30,000 users with roughly 40 GB of
mail. I can provide the scripts if there's interest.

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK