Helpful Hint on Virtual Domains, and Mail Aliases

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Wed Feb 18 16:38:42 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:49:36PM -0500, Peter P. Benac wrote:
> To Whom:
>
>     I found it very difficult to set up virtual domains and getting my
> existing mail aliases working with sendmail.  It might have been helpful if
> the documentation mentioned that I needed to get rid of my virtusertable,
> local-host-names and to reference all the aliases in the my aliases file by
> their respective domains.

Um.. well, none of those statements are true.  Clearly that configuration
worked for you, but we use Cyrus with local-host-names, local aliases and a
very extensive virtusertable.

>     Having to guess all of this made the install very frustrating, not to
> mention the stupid questions I did post to the mail list could have been
> avoided.

It sounds like all of these questions were really Sendmail configuration
questions.  (I'm guessing) The problem wasn't Cyrus IMAPd at all, but that
you had issues configuring the MTA to route mail properly.  That really
isn't something that Cyrus documentation should attempt to solve.

That said, as Ken indicated, updates to documentation are always accepted.
I know for certain, because most of my updates were (in spirit if not word
by word).

--
Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.