CYRUS = GARBAGE

Paul Bender pbender at qualcomm.com
Mon Feb 2 21:58:55 EST 2004

I am sorry that you have become so frustrated. Stitching together user
management (whether it is just for Cyrus IMAP of for all services) into
something that is unified and simple to operate can be a pain.

I use an LDAP backend along with the autocreate patch
<http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autocreate/> to make it easy to add
imap users, delete imap users, and automatically create the imap user's
mailboxes when the imap user is added. I do not do anything
automatically delete the deleted mail imap user's mailboxes because the
risk of lost email it too great.

You might give LDAP a try. With the exception of PostNuke, it appears to
be a more universal method for managing user information. Of course, if
your situation dictates SQL, then SQL it is. You can still use the
autocreate patch.

By the way, I think that Garbage is beyond version 2.2.3. Version 2.0
came out around 1998, and they have had at least one major release since
then. ;-)