newspostuser --> To, but what about Reply-To?

+archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Thu Feb 5 16:02:48 EST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Ken Murchison wrote:

> I *believe* the logic that Larry and I worked out was that there might
> already be a Reply-To header (if a message was sent to a person and CC'd
> to a newsgroup for instance), so we thought it would be safer to just
> create or add to any existing To header.

I see.  Maybe which header is used could be a simple config toggle?

> I might be able to be convinced otherwise.  Maybe you can have multiple
> addresses in a Reply-To, I'll have to look.

Well, thought I'd do a little browsing through RFC 2822.  This is
what I found:

3.6.2. Originator fields

   In either case, an optional reply-to field MAY also be
   included, which contains the field name "Reply-To" and a
   comma-separated list of one or more addresses.

reply-to        =       "Reply-To:" address-list CRLF

   The originator fields also provide the information required when
   replying to a message.  When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
   indicates the mailbox(es) to which the author of the message suggests
   that replies be sent.

So, at least according to that doc, sounds like an address list
is valid.  I have to admit I don't recall ever seeing it used that
way, though.  Perhaps further indication it would be safest as a
config toggle?

--
Amos
---