ACL usage revisted (need feedback)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Feb 10 09:46:26 EST 2004

Jason Williams wrote:

> Maybe someone can explain this to me, but are there any other options to
> getting ACL functionality working correctly, besides using Sendmail?
> Maybe im wrong, but im thinking Sendmail is our only option.

If you want to use the Cyrus ACLs to control who can send email (post)
to a mailbox, you have no choice but to have the MTA pass the userid of
the poster to lmtpd (via AUTH=).  This is the only way that lmtpd knows
who is sending the message (looking at the headers or the envelope is
unreliable because they can be easily forged).

I don't know much about Postfix, but I would imagine that you could
restrict posting by using some kind of external lookup (LDAP, SQL, etc).
  This obviously has the downside of requiring a set of "posting"  ACLs
which are separate from the rest of the mailbox ACLs.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus