Invalid mailbox name?

Mike O'Rourke mjoop at curia.op.org
Wed Feb 18 08:04:52 EST 2004

>>> trichard <trichard at hypermall.net> 02/18/04 01:36am >>>
>Thanks Mike...Results inline below:
>
>Mike O'Rourke wrote:
>> try this:
>> imtest -u test -a test -t '' localhost
>> (after the -t those are 2 single-quotes.)
>>
>> At the end of a lot of diagnostics, it should ask for your
password.
>> type it in and hit <ENTER>. If it says "Authenticated", you are
>> connected and in;
>
>[root at post root]# imtest -u test -a test -t '' localhost
>S: * OK post.domain.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.3 server ready
>C: C01 CAPABILITY
>S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
>NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
>BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE

>STARTTLS AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR
>S: C01 OK Completed
>C: S01 STARTTLS
>S: S01 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
>verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
>TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168
bits)
>C: C01 CAPABILITY
>S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
>NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
>BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE

>AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
SASL-IR
>S: C01 OK Completed
>Authentication failed. generic failure
>Security strength factor: 168
>

>Appears to be a user not found error?  Thanks VERY much for your help

>Mike.  I really appreciate your assistance.  :)
>
>-trichard

Hi again, trichard,

<Preliminary note:> first try below with things as-is. Then try adding
the following line to /etc/imapd.conf:
loginrealms: post.mydomain.com mydomain.com

restarting the cyrus master process after changing /etc/imapd.conf.
</Preliminary Note:>

First, try:
imtest -u test at mydomain.com -a test at mydomain.com -t '' localhost

and try the imap command
A01 select inbox

If I understand your setup correctly, this should fail.

Then try
imtest -u test at mydomain.com -a test -t '' localhost

and then try the imap command above. I suspect that this should succeed
(not sure whether it would be before or after modifying
/etc/imapd.conf!).

Mike.
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus