Invalid mailbox name?

Mike O'Rourke mjoop at curia.op.org
Wed Feb 18 11:46:23 EST 2004

>Hi Mike,

--snip!--

>[root at post etc]# imtest -u test at domain.com -a test at domain.com -t '' -m

>plain localhost
>S: * OK post.domain.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.3 server ready
>C: C01 CAPABILITY
>S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
>NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
>BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE

>STARTTLS AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 SASL-IR
>S: C01 OK Completed
>C: S01 STARTTLS
>S: S01 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
>verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
>TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168
bits)
>C: C01 CAPABILITY
>S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
>NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
>BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE

>AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
SASL-IR
>S: C01 OK Completed
>Please enter your password:
>C: A01 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
>dGVzdEBzYXBlcmVvbi5jb20AdGVzdEBzYXBlcmVvbi5jb20AdGVzdDEyMw==
>S: A01 OK Success (tls protection)
>Authenticated.
>Security strength factor: 168
>A01 select inbox
>A01 NO Invalid mailbox name
>
>==================================
>
>So the last one here worked...sort of.  I am getting the same error
that
>I am in the email client (i.e. Invalid mailbox name).  It's odd
because:

>[root at post etc]# ls -latr /var/spool/imap/user/test
>total 20
>-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail           76 Feb 17 09:16 cyrus.index
>-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail            4 Feb 17 09:16 cyrus.cache
>drwx------    3 cyrus    mail         4096 Feb 17 09:16 ..
>-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail          159 Feb 17 09:16 cyrus.header
>drwx------    2 cyrus    mail         4096 Feb 17 10:15 .
>
>[root at post etc]# sasldblistusers2
>test at domain.com: userPassword
>cyrus at post.domain.com: userPassword
>
>NOTE:  This does bring up an interesting question though:
>
>I created the cyrus user as follows:
>
>      saslpasswd2 -c -u post.mydomain.com cyrus
>
>A sasldblistusers2 shows:
>
>      test at mydomain.com: userPassword
>      cyrus at post.mydomain.com: userPassword
>
>NOTE: The user "test" in this case would be indicative of a normal
mail
>user.  Cyrus of course is for administration purposes.
>
>Does this look right?  I am concerned that including the hostname
"post"
>in the realm for the cyrus user and NOT including it in the realm for

>the test user will cause problems when creating mailboxes, etc. Should

>the administrator for cyrus (i.e. user cyrus) by in the same realm as

>the users or hostname.realm?
>
>Thanks again for all the help...I am supposed to complete this project

>today and am doing everything I can to figure this out in between your

>posts.
>
>Thanks!!!
>
>-trichard

Hi trichard,

I got my "-a" and "-u" parameters mixed up. It must have been late when
I wrote that one!

If you use
imtest -u test -a test at mydomain.com -m plain -t '' localhost

I bet it will let you select your inbox.

Is your machine's name post.mydomain.com? Did you create the test user
like this?:
saslpasswd2 -c -u mydomain.com test

If so, create the user without using the "-u" option, or create it with
"-u post.mydomain.com". This should let you put a username of "test" in
Outlook Depress (or whatever MUA you are using), as well as using "test"
for both the "-u" and "-a" arguments for imtest.

Mike.

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus