Alternative ways of sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user@domain.com: Mailbox unknown]

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Wed Feb 25 16:50:17 EST 2004

Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> -- Andrzej Filip <anfi at priv.onet.pl> is rumored to have mumbled on
> Montag, 23. Februar 2004 13:23 Uhr +0100 regarding Alternative ways of
> sendmail & cyrus integration [Was: Virtual domains, user at domain.com:
> Mailbox unknown]:
>
>> 3) Real Time Cyrus Integration
>> http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/rtcyrus.html
>>
>> It requires patching sendmail sources but allows sendmail to check
>> existence of cyrus mailbox in "real time"
>> [http://anfi.webhop.net/sendmail/_FFR_MAP_FSTAT.html]
>>
>> * Method 2 can use periodically generated list on valid cyrus mailboxes
>> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> P.S.
>> Feel free to send me your comments and questions.
>

> if I understand the description correctly, this approach doesn't
> currently handle hashed spools, does it?

It can't handle hashed spools *NOW*.
Making sendmail support hashing based on first letter of mailbox is simple.

Another way of "real time sendmail & cyrus integration is to make sendmail use
  "socket map" daemon available in CVS of Cyrus or creating custom "socket
map" daemon.

Sendmail 8.12 requires another patch instead of _FFR_MAP_FSTAT, sendmail
8.13.PreAplha4 supports socket map without patching.

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/smenhanced.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/patches/sendmail-8.12.7-socketmap-v4.patch

Please let me know which option would you like to use yourself:
a) making sendmail to use regex map [regular expressions] to generate "hashed"
path to cyrus mailboxes
b) patching sendmail 8.12 (socketmap patch) and
b1) using CVS version of cyrus
b2) using custom "socket map" daemon

P.S.
Sendmail.org rejected my generous donation of fstat map implementation
[_FFR_MAP_FSTAT], "socket map" has very big chances to be supported by
unpatched sendmail 8.13.

- --
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.webhop.net http://slashdot.org/~anfi