Performance question...

Michael J Barber mbarber at barbersweb.net
Tue Feb 24 12:21:26 EST 2004

This rings a bell.

His test system is a Pentium 200 with less than 10 users and just auto generated
test messages.  The mail boxes were growing to 20-30MB...at least with the
Courier setup.

Any other info would be great and thanks for the note.

BTW the eventual production system is a dual Xeon 3.0GHz with 4GB ram and 15K
drives for about 5000 users.

Thanks,

Michael J Barber
SUNY Plattsburgh
CMS Computer Labs Technician
116D Feinberg Library
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
518.564.2319
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quoting Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk>:

^^ Michael J Barber wrote:
^^ > Folks I need a bit of feedback and insight.
^^ >
^^ > A co-worker of mine is implementing an IMAP server here and has decided to
^^ ditch
^^ > Cyrus after he thought it was too slow and could not configure it.  That
^^ being
^^ > said, I don't want to address the configuration issue.  I am interested in
^^ the
^^ > speed or performance aspect.  He next installed Courier and said it was
^^ 100%
^^ > faster than Cyrus... way to dramatic for me but..
^^
^^ It's worth noting that the focus of Cyrus is not really on speed, but on
^^  consistent performance with scalability. With a small mailstore, Cyrus
^^ may not be the fastest option. However, I'm not aware of any other IMAP
^^ server that can scale as far as Cyrus, and not lose performance.
^^
^^ What was your co-worker's test system? How many users, and what size
^^ mailboxes?
^^
^^ Mike.
^^