Performance question...

Cesar Lagarrigue CLagarrigue at etek.cl
Wed Feb 25 13:59:01 EST 2004

How you did this ?

i have a cyrus for 450 users, but you say if not configure nothing in db,
you are your conf for make you did ?

You need:
>   1. noatime
how configure this ?

>   2. no "sync mounts" or "sync attributes" anywhere. Use a proper fs
>    instead.
i use ext3, how make this ?

>  3. A proper filesystem (ext2 and ext3 in default non-btree mode,
aren't.
>     I doubt UFS is any better).
any special configuration ? i did ext3.

>  4. A properly configured Berkeley DB environment (although for some
>      reason, Cyrus seems to actually survive well without any config,
>      maybe the CMU crew override the defaults with something sane in
>      the bdb backend code. If you try the same with OpenLDAP, your
server
>      will die an horrible death).

how configure this ? is a conf or compile something ? i have a default
cyrus with virtual users, and ldap with a backend

# ldbm database definitions
database        bdb

the produccion of server is the friday, please tell me a advise for best
performance for cyrus.

>   5. Use skiplist as the backend for the mailboxes and seen dbs.

how configure this ? is in the imapd.conf ?

p.d: :) thanks for any helps.

Regards,

Is you need send any conf please tell me.

Cesar Lagarrigue V.
Project Engineer
clagarrigue at etek.cl

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>
Sent by: owner-info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
25-02-2004 00:11

Michael J Barber <mbarber at barbersweb.net>
cc
info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Subject
Re: Performance question...

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Michael J Barber wrote:
> Cyrus after he thought it was too slow and could not configure it.  That
being

Hah, I bet he had Cyrus on a partition (or directories) operating in sync
mode :)  (I assume he had a 2.x Cyrus install).

> Has anyone done similar things and noticed one server to be dramatically
faster
> than the other?  He knows about noatime setting but I am not sure he did
it when
> using the Cyrus server.  Has anyone ever seen any benchmarks for similar
setups?

You need:
  1. noatime
  2. no "sync mounts" or "sync attributes" anywhere. Use a proper fs
     instead.
  3. A proper filesystem (ext2 and ext3 in default non-btree mode, aren't.
     I doubt UFS is any better).
  4. A properly configured Berkeley DB environment (although for some
     reason, Cyrus seems to actually survive well without any config,
     maybe the CMU crew override the defaults with something sane in
     the bdb backend code. If you try the same with OpenLDAP, your server
     will die an horrible death).
  5. Use skiplist as the backend for the mailboxes and seen dbs.

  Henrique Holschuh
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus

Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus