Performance question...

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Feb 25 15:48:48 EST 2004

-- Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org> is rumored to have mumbled
on Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2004 17:39 Uhr -0300 regarding Re: Performance
question...:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Rob Siemborski wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> > First, you need DB4.2 if you have anything SMP or multithreaded :)
>>
>> Ummm, we've successfully used Berkeley DB on SMP systems since DB3... Is
>> there a reference to what problems this causes anywhere?
>
> Cyrus is way too well behaved to cause DB lockups, I think ;-)  Anyway,
> I have never seen a bdb 3.2 lockup in my life, and so far, that's what
> I've been using with Cyrus.  It seems to handle quite well the lack of
> extra DB environment configs, too, which I am _not_ sure DB 4.x would.
> As I said, it certaily doesn't work that way for OpenLDAP.
>
> For 4.0 and 4.1, search the OpenLDAP ML, and you will get a huge ton
> of reports.  Maybe it is a Linux-only issue, but I am not sure about THAT
> one.

We've been running 4.0 in production with 30,000 users under Red Hat AS 2.1
on a 4-processor machine, but only deliver.db and tls_sessions.db use it. I
haven't noticed a lot of problems. Of course there are some aborted
lockers, but not too many. Following the recommendations on the OpenLDAP
site I just created a DB_CONFIG file to increase the cache size to 1 MB,
but I wonder if that's going to be noticeable ...

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK