DBERROR: error listing log files

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Sun Feb 29 10:24:18 EST 2004

A question about this error showed up in the archives, but it was
never resolved.  Here's the exact error:

  Feb 29 08:44:11 electra ctl_cyrusdb[16479]: [ID 854764 local6.error] DBERROR: error listing log files: Permission denied
  Feb 29 08:44:11 electra ctl_cyrusdb[16479]: [ID 686478 local6.error] DBERROR: archive /imap/conf/db: cyrusdb error

I'm running cyrus-imapd-2.1.14 on Solaris 8.  The error appeared after
a cyrus restart.  The first clue was that `master' had a peculiar CWD:
/var/spool/mqueue/.hoststat.  My shell had been there when I did the
restart.  I was able to reproduce the problem:

  # cd /imap
  # su cyrus -c ksh
  # id
  uid=47(cyrus) gid=6(mail)
  # /usr/local/cyrus/bin/ctl_cyrusdb -c
  # cd /var/spool/mqueue/.hoststat
  # /usr/local/cyrus/bin/ctl_cyrusdb -c
  ctl_cyrusdb: unable to archive environment

A truss of ctl_cyrusdb showed this error:

  open64("./../../", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY)           Err#13 EACCES

I haven't checked, but it's very likely that one of the mount points
in the path /var/spool/mqueue/.hoststat has incorrect permissions.
Users other than root have this problem in that directory:

  # /bin/pwd
  pwd: cannot determine current directory!

The solution was to restart master from the root directory.  I suppose
that master should do the chdir() itself as part of becoming a daemon.

Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus