Authentication problems

Mark Adams madams9 at msn.com
Wed Dec 22 13:43:06 EST 2004

Greetings!

This may not be the correct forum for this issue, but I thought I'd
start here and find a more appropriate newsgroup if one exists.  I also
apologize for the length of this message, but there is a lot of log info
down here.  I would be happy to send conf. file info as well if anyone
needs to see it.

Setup:
    Mandrake Linux 10.1,
    Cyrus-imapd-2.2.8-4.1.101mdk,
    Openssl-0.9.7d-1mdk,
    saslauthd 2.1.19 (authentication mechanisms: getpwent kerberos5 pam
rimap shadow ldap),
    pam-0.77-26mdk
    MySQL-4.0.20-3.1.101mdk
    Postfix-2.1.4-2mdk
    web-cyradm-0.5.4-1
   apache2-2.0.50-7mdk

I am trying to configure an imap mail server for my local LAN.  At this
point, I am not drawing SMTP mail from my ISP -- only sending SMTP over
my own LAN.

I attempted the Postfix+Cyrus-imap+MySQL configuration and struggled
with it for several days.  I gave up and uninstalled Cyrus in favor of
Courier (have a Postfix+Courier-imap+MySQL machine serving mail on my
LAN right now, but it's a desktop and I'm adding a dedicated server).
For some reason I couldn't get that to work (authenticate) either and
uninstalled Courier for another crack at Cyrus.  I've set this stuff up
according to
http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/web-cyradm-config.html

but I've noticed some discrepencies due to differences in the location
of files from distribution to distribution.  For example, in the log
excerpt below.

Syslog says:
tail -n 15 /var/log/syslog
Dec 22 10:04:06 shuttle imaps[19857]: Fatal error: imaps: required
OpenSSL options not present
Dec 22 10:04:06 shuttle pop3s[19858]: pop3s: required OpenSSL options
not present

Mail log doesn't seem to register anything.

The Auth.log seems to be telling:
tail /var/log/auth.log
Dec 22 11:10:00 shuttle sshd[5568]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:15:00 shuttle sshd[5582]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:20:00 shuttle sshd[5592]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:25:01 shuttle sshd[5602]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:30:00 shuttle sshd[5612]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:35:00 shuttle sshd[5622]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:40:00 shuttle sshd[5642]: Did not receive identification
string from ::ffff:127.0.0.1
Dec 22 11:40:01 shuttle imap[4108]: could not find auxprop plugin, was
searching for '[all]'
Dec 22 11:40:01 shuttle last message repeated 3 times
Dec 22 11:41:10 shuttle imap[4109]: could not find auxprop plugin, was
searching for '[all]'

The user "cyrus" exists in the "accountuser" table and the default
password is there (encrypted).  Pointing a browser to
localhost/web-cyradm brings up the login screen, but no matter what I
enter into the Username and Password fields, it just resets the login
screen -- I can't get logged in.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get with this. I'm sure it's
something simple and basic that I'm missing.

Thanks.

--
Mark E. Adams
http://adamslan.shyper.com

Random Musing:
Scully: I'm seeing a whole new side of you, Mulder.
MulderEddie: Is that a good thing?
Scully: I like it.

	"The X-Files: Small Potatoes"