Disaster Recovery & Single Message Restore

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Dec 22 13:24:07 EST 2004

Doug Koobs wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>

>>If the contents of the mailstore is static when you do the
>>backup/restore, then reconstruct *shouldn't* be necessary.
>

> OK, how about this. I'll try it first without running reconstruct. If there
> are problems, then I'll shut down cyrus-imapd and run reconstruct on just
> the mailboxes that have problems. Sound good?

Yes.

>>You can
>>simply restore
>>the deleted messages directly into the mailbox from which
>>they came and
>>then reconstruct the mailbox to get them added to cyrus.index and
>>cyrus.cache.
>

> That does sound easier, but how do you know which message is the one the
> user wanted? By the timestamp?

If you're looking for a single message, it can be tough.  If you know
when they deleted the message you can just roll back to a particular
time and restore all messages before that timestamp.  For undeleted
messages, you're just overwriting the file with an exact duplicate.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127