Long lines classified as "Message contains NUL characters"

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Mon Dec 6 03:30:56 EST 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Amos wrote:

> Was there any follow-up to this?
>
> Related to this unpleasant issue that gets repeatedly kicked around between
> this list and postfix-users, with an unpleasant amount of disdain I might
> add, has anybody implemented a hack to Cyrus lmptd to optionally reject such
> messages, or delete these NUL characters? Seems like an option to lmtpd to do
> either would settle this for once and for all.

Well, there are no NUL characters if the line is too long, the error lies.
I haven't yet pulled in the patch, because simply I haven't had time to
confirm the other uses of the prot_stdio layer are not affected by the
change (they shouldn't be, but paranoia is good). Otherwise, we will take
it, and then enable strict rfc compliance in a variable, (and accept large
lines by default)