virtual domains, sendmail and catch all addresses

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Thu Dec 2 18:45:16 EST 2004

Ben Suffolk wrote:
> I have looked through the FAQ, and the archive and was unable to find a
> reference / answer to my issue. I think it may be more of a sendmail
> question, so my apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.
>
> I have configured sendmail and imapd as recommend in the configuring
> virtual domains page at
> http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/install-virtdomains.html
>
> This means that I have used the mailertable in sendmail to make sure
> that sendmail does not remove the domain name.
>
> Everything works great, and just as you would expect it to. I have some
> aliases in the sendmail aliases file, and they work fine as well.
>
> However I now need to add another domain and I want to set up a few
> specific email addresses for delivery and a catch all account on this
> domain to, so no email is bounced with user unknown, it just gets added
> to a specific account. I can not figure out how to do this though.
> Normally with sedmail you would use the virtusers table, but I can't see
> how to map all unknown email to the account unknown at domain. Obviously if
> I use :-
>
> @domain    unknwon at domain
>
> its a recursive map and so fails.
>
> I would be most grateful if anybody know how to do this.

There are two ways to fix your virtusertable problem, both are undocumented.
a) Use "!" as RHS for unknown at domain
unknown at domain   !
@domain          unknown at domain
b) define _VIRTUSER_STOP_ONE_LEVEL_RECURSION_ in your *.mc file:
define(`_VIRTUSER_STOP_ONE_LEVEL_RECURSION_',`1')dnl

"a" is "an undocumented implementation detail. "b" is a feature on its way to
be documented in some future sendmail release. Short description of "b" is
available in cf/m4/proto.m4 file.

P.S.
Take a look at http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html

You may use the following mailertable entry:
domain	mrs_cyrus_mailertable:local:alias_name

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ]