setting up a pop and imap server

Hilkiah Lavinier isman at marpin.dm
Thu Dec 2 22:03:10 EST 2004

Hi,

I work for an ISP and we are currently running RH7.2 with imap-2000c
and sendmail 8.11.xx.  We are thinking of upgrading to a fedora release
(2 or 3).  By default, fedora 3 does not ship with the washington imap
server, instead it comes with cyrus-imapd.  The following pretty much
sums up our needs:

1) we need our users to be able to login and set their own passwords
(currently we use usermin for this)
2) we need both pop and imap services
3) we intend to use smtp auth in the not too distant future
4) we would like to implement some sort of quota system where sendmail
(or whatever MTA) will not accept more mail once a user's mailbox is filled

Would it be recommended to go through the hassles of configuring
cyrus-imapd?  If so, what the some of the advantages over some of the
less complicated pop3/imap servers.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
HL