Question about lmtp.lock

info-cyrus -- Amos Gouaux info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Mon Dec 13 13:53:34 EST 2004

David G Mcmurtrie wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Michael Loftis wrote:
>

>>There are a number of different lockfiles that cyrus uses during it's
>>lifecycle.  Though one thing you need to know is that it is not designed to
>>run like you're attempting to run it.  Each cyrus instance is meant to be
>>standalone, and running them all from a shared disk could very likely cause
>>mailbox corruption, as well as skiplist corruption for the seen/subs
>>entries and such.  The only part of cyrus that may be multi-node from same
>>storage safe is the BerkeleyDB stuff used for the mailboxes and deliver DBs.
>

> The cluster filesystem honors POSIX locking semantics across all nodes in
> the cluster.
>

>>Take a look at MURDER, that's what you'll want if you want to cluster
>>Cyrus.  MURDER+heartbeat with a shared storage medium provides for failover
>>(heartbeat is a separate, generic failover package).
>

> We chose a clustered environment over murder because we wanted scalability
> and redundancy, not just scalability.

You're using the Cyrus code from CVS (3.0 branch?), right? Based on what
I've picked up in the past, you'll need that for such a clustered
environment. I know Ken had done some work on such a layout, but I don't
know what the present state is. (I think in that situation there were
some issues with Sun's QFS, but not sure.)

Amos