Question about lmtp.lock

Ben Carter bhc+ at pitt.edu
Mon Dec 13 14:41:29 EST 2004

info-cyrus -- Amos Gouaux wrote:

> David G Mcmurtrie wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Michael Loftis wrote:
>>

>>> There are a number of different lockfiles that cyrus uses during it's
>>> lifecycle.  Though one thing you need to know is that it is not
>>> designed to
>>> run like you're attempting to run it.  Each cyrus instance is meant
>>> to be
>>> standalone, and running them all from a shared disk could very
>>> likely cause
>>> mailbox corruption, as well as skiplist corruption for the seen/subs
>>> entries and such.  The only part of cyrus that may be multi-node
>>> from same
>>> storage safe is the BerkeleyDB stuff used for the mailboxes and
>>> deliver DBs.
>>

>> The cluster filesystem honors POSIX locking semantics across all
>> nodes in
>> the cluster.
>>

>>> Take a look at MURDER, that's what you'll want if you want to cluster
>>> Cyrus.  MURDER+heartbeat with a shared storage medium provides for
>>> failover
>>> (heartbeat is a separate, generic failover package).
>>

>> We chose a clustered environment over murder because we wanted
>> scalability
>> and redundancy, not just scalability.
>

> You're using the Cyrus code from CVS (3.0 branch?), right? Based on
> what I've picked up in the past, you'll need that for such a clustered
> environment. I know Ken had done some work on such a layout, but I
> don't know what the present state is. (I think in that situation there
> were some issues with Sun's QFS, but not sure.)
>
> Amos

We're expecting very few issues here - if any.  As long as the locking
works across the cluster (and it is supposed to of course), the only
issue we expect is to have to add a VxFS-specific ioctl call to the
Cyrus code to extend the flat mailboxes file in large chunks - maybe
just one extension operation.  That's because in Veritas' CFS, a single
node masters a given filesystem for metadata updates.

Also, I can't recommend QFS.  In my benchmarks it was a lot slower than
Veritas' CFS.

Ben

--

Ben Carter