Cyrus errors

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 20 08:37:12 EST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Mark Drummond wrote:

> Recently my cyrus-imapd went *boom* an I was having all kinds of
> problems with it. Most notably, I could not connect and postfix could
> not deliver mail to cyrus.
>
> Yesterday, cryus just magically started working again. Or at least, I can
> connect to it and I can read my mail. Not sure about delivery yet, haven't
> tried it.

A bit late, but:

This sounds like corruption in the duplicate suppression database.

If database recovery didn't do anything useful (and I've had a couple of
occasions where BDB database recovery just blows up horribly) you can
recover by simply shutting down Cyrus and removing the relevant database
files, which would appear to be following in your case:

  /var/imap/deliver.db
  /var/imap/db/*
  /var/imap/db.backup*

DO NOT do this if you have anything important stored in Berkeley DB.

Duplicate suppression and TLS caches are safe to discard. You really don't
want to discard mailboxes.db or user seen state or subscriptions.

You probably don't want to use skiplist for deliver.db unless you have a
small site (say a few hundred users). Skiplist is designed for fast
iteration across the database, not updates and single lookups.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.