directories not deleted when folder is

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Mon Dec 20 09:50:56 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:14:31 +0000 (GMT) David Carter <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Phil Chambers wrote:
>
> > I have discovered that directories are often being left in the file
> > system when a user deletes the corresponding folder. cyrus.header,
> > cyrus.index and cyrus.cache and all message files are removed, but not
> > the directory for the folder itself.
>
> This happens when you delete a mailbox which has subsiduary mailboxes
> and then later come back and delete the subsiduary mailboxes.
>
> > I can't say what percentage of the time this happens when users delete
> > using there e-mail client but I have just deleted 1581 user accounts
> > using a perl script which uses deletemailbox().  Of the 1581 the
> > directories remained for 11.  In fact, the whole directory structures
> > remained for each user with all the files removed.
>
> Maybe a consequence of the order in which the mailboxes were listed?

When I deleted the 1581 accounts I was calling the perl deletemailbox() function in
Cyrus::IMAP::Admin.  For each account I was just specifying "user.account" as the
argument (having set up an acl to give me 'c' rights first).  For 1570 of them it
deleted the whole structure, subsidiary folders included.

Phil.