old issue, again: "cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with DIGEST-MD5"

OpenMacNews cyrus-info.20.openmacnews at spamgourmet.com
Mon Dec 20 11:16:52 EST 2004

hi sebastian,

>> my imapd.conf is:
>> 	sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
>> 	sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb
>> 	allowanonymouslogin: no
>> 	allowplaintext: no
>> 	sasl_mech_list: PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
>> 	sasl_auto_transition: no
>> 	sasl_minimum_layer: 256
>
> I think this line is your problem. I don't know any application that actually
> uses a layer for DIGEST-MD5. All the ones I've tried use it only for
> authentication. Try setting sasl_minimum_layer to 0. My guess is it'll work
> after that ...

i made the suggested change:

    --- sasl_minimum_layer: 256
    +++ sasl_minimum_layer: 0

and tried again.  alas, same error & log entries as before, with one minor
difference -- i'm now asked for a pwd ...

% cyradm --auth DIGEST-MD5 --user testuser --server
mail.internal.testdomain.com --port 143
   Password:
   cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with DIGEST-MD5 as darkmatter

thx!

richard