Large email account

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Mon Dec 20 21:57:05 EST 2004

--On Monday, December 20, 2004 16:14 -0800 Prasanna Buddhika
<p_buddhika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have win2000 server running exchange 2000 server.
> There are 2 large email accounts (700000 emails in a
> single account) which we don't want to delete. But I
> want to move these 2 accounts to Linux machine with
> cyrus-imap server. Migration went very well. Only
> problem is the speed. When the 2 mail accounts on the
> exchange server and when I use exchange method to
> access the account via Microsoft outlook client it
> won't take even 1 minute to show all the massages. But
> if I use cyrus-imap to retriew (sync) the email it
> takes 30 minutes. But after sync it’s fast. Only
> problem is when ever I logged off the system and log
> back in to the system again I have to wait 30 minutes
> to access the mail. Can anyone have a good suggestion
> to speedup this apart from deleting emails.:)

Ditch outhouse, get a real MUA.  Mulberry does really well with large
message stores, not sure about others offhand.  Hell even PINE does better
than Outlook.  The problem is Outlook speaks Exchange, and POP.  It doesn't
do IMAP, nor does Thunderbird/NetScape.  I can hear you all screaming 'BUT
THEY SPEAK IMAP!' -- no they don't.  If they spoke IMAP they wouldn't' need
to 'syncronize' at all.  They use IMAP to download ALL the message headers.
And then they work it like a regular local mail store, except the bodies
point off to the IMAP system.  Mulberry (Again Mulberry and PINE are the
only two I can think of offhand that do it RIGHT, not to say that there
aren't others!!!) will let the server do the work, and the server has
Indices.  I can open basically unlimited size mailboxes instantly.
Mulberry and PINE both just as for the messages inside the view range.

Running a current enough version of Cyrus threading is even done server
side.  Searches are always done server side.  Outlook is not an IMAP client
AFAIC.  It's a POP client that's been botched to try to use IMAP, same with
T-bird.

Given a choice I'll still use T-bird over Outlook....but given my free
reign, I'll use something else.  Ohh yeah Evolution is one that I think
does it right too...can't remember I'll have to ask one of my coworkers.