Malbox has an invalid format after 2.1.14 to 2.2.9 upgrade

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Fri Dec 24 11:17:53 EST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Curses! wrote:

>      <1102404224<A00002 SELECT INBOX
>      >1102404224>A00002 NO Mailbox has an invalid format

[]

> Since I saw there were changes in the default database formats and the
> addition of run-time database format directives, I added those directives to

none of which should matter here.

> Based on the notes in the changelog and other documentation, I expected that
> the server would upgrade the mailbox format on the fly. I am now wondering
> if I need to "reconstruct" all the mailboxes using the new utility prior to
> running the new server. If so, will I lose message flags?

it should auto-upgrade. we don't keep installations of old versions around
to do testing on for each version, though, so it's conceivable a bug
slipped in somewhere. knowing which place IMAP_MAILBOX_BADFORMAT is coming
from would be helpful, and output from "strace"ing the imapd may shed some
light on it. you should be able to use imtest to connect, attach strace,
then SELECT by hand and get the error, detach and have an strace session
logged.

> Finally, I am having to post this message from my GMail account because I
> was not able to re-subscribe to the list from my usual address
> (michael_moore (AT@) csnw.com) as I never get any response from the listserv
> from any address attached to the csnw.com server and subscribing from the
> web-based list management never results in mail to my csnw.com account or in
> my address being added to the list as seen in the web interface. I haven't
> gotten any response from "andrew2-webmaster at andrew.cmu.edu" which is listed
> as the list problem contact on the website. It's not a spam filter problem
> on our end as I have looked for the message on both sides of our filter. If
> you can help with the problem or know a better contact, I would love to be
> subscribed from my usual account.

well, andrew2-webmaster doesn't own the list server itself, but i suspect
if i send you on the real path it will just come back to me anyhow. i'd be
mucch happier if we swapped in mailman for majordomo, but probably that
will happen soon enough anyway.

I just added you by hand. I have no idea what's going on, we have other
recent subscribers, so the service is not generically broken.