Malbox has an invalid format after 2.1.14 to 2.2.9 upgrade

Scott Adkins adkinss at ohio.edu
Tue Dec 28 09:04:11 EST 2004

We just recently upgraded our system from 2.2.1b to 2.2.10 and had very
similar problems.  In fact, I spent quite a bit of time debugging the code
and testing it on the system we were upgrading on (we did the upgrade once
before and had to back out because of these errors) and the testing showed
everything was going to work just fine.  However, when the upgrade occurred,
the errors once again came back...

The problem occurs with the cyrus.* files in the user's mailbox directory.
The new version of Cyrus upgrades those files to the current version of that
file format.  In our case, we were two versions out of date, but that should
not matter with how the upgrade process works.

The disturbing thing was that it was unpredictable as to what mailboxes it
was going to hit.  About 2/3rds of the mailboxes were "upgraded" to the new
version, but the other third failed.  There were no error messages relating
to the failure, only errors relating to the access of these mailboxes that
had failed the upgrade... For instance, we saw the errors when LMTP tried
to deliver messages to the mailboxes.  Sometimes we would see errors when
the user connected via IMAP, but most of the time, we didn't.

At this point in time, we are leaning to something funny in the OS, maybe
with regards to the lock files, but that is inconclusive, and may not be
the case at all.  If you are experiencing the problem, it may very well be
a Cyrus issue yet.  What OS are you using?

We fixed the issue by reconstructing every mailbox on the system.  This took
a couple days to complete, since we have nearly 100,000 accounts, and many
of those accounts have a lot of mailboxes on them.  Reconstructing does not
lose flag information, so it is safe to do.

Scott

--On Thursday, December 23, 2004 9:17 AM -0800 Curses!