Can't auth using sasldb2 after updating cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd

nrichmond at speakeasy.net nrichmond at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 28 09:56:33 EST 2004

First, let me say that this list has been useful to me in the past when reading the archives, so thanks to those that contribute.

I just updated cyrus-sasl from 1.5.27 to 2.1.20 and cyrus-imapd from 2.0.16 to 2.2.10.  I followed the steps for upgrading that was included in the documentation and on the project's website, but I can't auth using sasldb2.

My imapd.conf follows (I'm leaving out the tls lines):
configdirectory: /var/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus root
srvtab: /var/imap/srvtab
allowanonymouslogin: no

sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb2
sasldb_path: /etc/sasldb2
sasl_mech_list: LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5

I've also tried using "sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb" with no success.  I don't think I need all those mechanisms listed, but I put them all in to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Next is the output from sasldblistusers2 (with usernames changed):
user1 at myhostname: cmusaslsecretPLAIN
user2 at myhostname: cmusaslsecretPLAIN
user3 at myhostname: cmusaslsecretPLAIN

And it goes on to list all email users on the system.

However, whenever I try to login by any means, I get an "user not found" error.

$ imtest -u user1 myhostname.mydomain.org
S: * OK myhostname Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE STARTTLS
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN user1 {9}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: user not found
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0

I'm guessing that one of my configuration files is the problem.

My only configuration options when compiling sasl and imapd were:
--with-bdb-libdir=/usr/lib/ --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/include/db4 --disable-krb4 --disable-gssapi

The only other information I can think of that may be relevant is that I performed step 2 under the "Upgrading from 2.1.x or earlier" install-upgrade.html document.  If I had been thinking, I probably would have just gone back and recompiled using --with-mboxlist-db=berkeley and --with-seen-db=flat, but I don't know if that is a problem or not.

Thanks,
NRichmond