/var/spool/imap/domain directory structure

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Dec 29 04:00:52 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 14:45, Simon Matter wrote:
> > Andrew B. PAnphiloff ÐÉÛÅÔ:
> >
> >> I have two servers, one with freebsd and another with linux.
> >> So, i need transfer all mailboxes from freebsd to linux, but I have
> >> some trouble:
> >>
> >> /var/spool/imap/domain directory structure on bsd server:
> >>
> >> ---domain.tld
> >> ------------user
> >> -----------------first mailbox
> >> -----------------second mailbox
> >>
> >> /var/spool/imap/domain directory structure on linux server:
> >>
> >> --d
> >> ---domain.tld
> >> --------------f
> >> -----------------user
> >> ----------------------first mailbox
> >> --------------s
> >> -----------------user
> >> ----------------------second mailbox
> >>

> > I see difference is in hashimapspool option, but how migrate from
> > one structure to another ?
>
> You can move the spool to the new server and then run rehash to change the
> hashing scheme.

Can you explain further? In the man page for imapd.conf, it states:
hashimapspool:1
 If enabled, the partitions will also be hashed, in addition to the
hashing done on configuration directories.  This is recommended if one
partition has a very bushy mailbox tree.

And what does _bushy_ mailbox tree means?

What's the benefit/downside of one vs the other??

Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
Neuromancer 16:59:51 up 8:51, 5 users,