cyrus 2.2.10 & RH FC3

sol beach sol.beach at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 15:57:05 EST 2004

OK, I'm an idiot who can't seem to be able to RTFM, so please take pity on me.

I want to get IMAP running on my new FC3 server.
I have downloaded cyrus-imapd-2.2.10.
I created a script with the following lines
./configure                     \
        --prefix=/usr           \
        --enable-login=yes      \
        --enable-plain=yes      \
        --with-openssl=/usr
which I then seeming successfully invoked.

make depend
make all CFLAGS=-O
make install

 cp master/conf/normal.conf /etc/cyrus.conf

into sendmail.mc added 2 lines below:

define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl
MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl

All of these seem to have sucessfully completed.
After this I restarted  from /etc/init.d the following:
cyrus-imapd
saslauthd
sendmail

When I try to

Connection closed by foreign host.
[bcm at bcm tmp]$ /usr/bin/imtest -v -m login localhost
S: * OK bcm.cpuwzrd.net Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-3.fc3 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
STARTTLS LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN bcm {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: no mechanism available
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed.
[bcm at bcm tmp]$

What did I do wrong or not do right?

Why does  LOGIN or PLAIN  not get reported as one of the available capabilities?

What do I need to change to get IMAP operational?

[bcm at bcm tmp]$ telnet bcm.cpuwzrd.net imap
Trying 208.33.48.145...
Connected to mail.cpuwzrd.net (208.33.48.145).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK bcm.cpuwzrd.net Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-3.fc3 server ready
. logout
* BYE LOGOUT received
. OK Completed
Connection closed by foreign host.