cyrus 2.2.10 & RH FC3

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Dec 28 19:12:05 EST 2004

> OK, I'm an idiot who can't seem to be able to RTFM, so please take pity on
> me.
>
> I want to get IMAP running on my new FC3 server.
> I have downloaded cyrus-imapd-2.2.10.
> I created a script with the following lines
> ./configure                     \
>         --prefix=/usr           \
>         --enable-login=yes      \
>         --enable-plain=yes      \
>         --with-openssl=/usr
> which I then seeming successfully invoked.

Hm, did you first install the cyrus-imapd rpms and later compile and
install from source? This results in a real mess.

> make depend
> make all CFLAGS=-O
> make install
>
>  cp master/conf/normal.conf /etc/cyrus.conf
>
> into sendmail.mc added 2 lines below:
>
> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl
> MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl
>

> All of these seem to have sucessfully completed.
> After this I restarted  from /etc/init.d the following:
> cyrus-imapd
> saslauthd
> sendmail
>
> When I try to
>
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> [bcm at bcm tmp]$ /usr/bin/imtest -v -m login localhost
> S: * OK bcm.cpuwzrd.net Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-3.fc3 server

The banner indicates that you are running my rpms and not the binaries you
built from source.
All I can say is that the rpms run out of the box using saslauthd to
authenticate. saslauthd is configured to use /etc/shadow per default on
RedHat/Fedora which means it's using system accounts.

Try
imtest -v -a cyrus -m login localhost

HTH
Simon