alt namespace and top-level folders?

Michael Bartosh mbartosh at mac.com
Wed Aug 11 12:02:16 EDT 2004

I'm using the Cyrus imapd bundled with Mac OS X:

localhost> version
name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.1.13 2003/09/23 22:52:55
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : Darwin
os-version : 7.2.0
environment: Cyrus SASL 2.1.3
              Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19, 2002)
              Built w/OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003
              Running w/OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003
              CMU Sieve 2.2
              TCP Wrappers
              mmap = shared
              lock = fcntl
              nonblock = fcntl
              auth = krb
              idle = poll
              mboxlist.db = db3
              subs.db = flat
              seen.db = flat
              duplicate.db = db3-nosync
              tls.db = db3-nosync

Apple uses alt namespace (Other\ Users) and unix hierarchy separator..
I can create a mailbox at the root of the hierarchy (ie not in Other\
Users/):

localhost> lm
4am (\HasNoChildren)
Other Users/ghydle (\HasChildren)
Other Users/ghydle/Deleted Messages (\HasNoChildren)
Other Users/mbartosh (\HasChildren)

<snipped for length>

And grand permission to multiple users to manage the folder:

localhost> lam 4am
mbartosh lrswipcda
ghydle lrswipcda
nadmin lca

However, when viewing the folder using an imap client, it is seen as:

Other\ Users/nadmin/4am

...creating it at Other\ Users/4am lets it be seen over imap as:

Other\ Users/4am

...This, however, will be confusing for the users accessing the folder,
and anyway it's ugly. Is there any way to get the folder to show up
simply as 4am.

http://www.4am-media.com
Mac OS X Consulting and Training
Michael Bartosh
mbartosh at 4am-media.com
303.517.0272
Denver, CO

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
regard those who think alike than those who think differently."

- -- Nietzsche