FYI: Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP - Real Time Integration

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Fri Aug 6 15:29:55 EDT 2004

Ken Murchison wrote:
> AJ wrote:
>>   Tried that one, but it spits back a user unknown error, which is
>> misleading,
>> is this an error, should it report over quota?
>
> I *believe* this is a problem with Sendmail.  AFAIR smmapd returns the
> correct code/response.
>
> Andrzej, is this correct?

Current *sendmail-8.13* implementation *does not* make "explanation strings"
passed by cyrus-imap (smmapd) with TEMP or PERM replies available in sendmail.cf.

It is sendmail's implementation fault but it can be fixed in smmapd by making
smmapd use differnt reply formats based on map name
* "cyrus" map -> preserve current behavoiur
* "cyrus-ib" (in band) map -> no TEMP/PERM replies
	for ok user return OK:user at domain
	for over quota user retunrn over-quota:user at domain
[It would require small fixes of sendmail.cf feayures too ]

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ]