Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP - Real Time Integration

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Thu Aug 26 18:34:20 EDT 2004

James Miller wrote:
> I'm trying to implement Andrzej Filip's Real Time Cyrus Integration Version
> 2 (sendmail,cyrus2) recipe to get sendmail to check whether a cyrus account
> exists before accepting the message and I'm having a few problems.
>
> I've setup the cyrus account 'jimm' and I can send messages to it via
> sendmail just fine.  The version is cyrus is 2.2.8 and sendmail is 8.13.1.
> Hopefully I'm just doing something silly but I'm abit confused about the
> results I'm getting.
>
> (I'm running the sendmail command as root).
> mailbox:# sendmail -d60.5 -bv jimm at simutronics.com
> map_lookup(dequote, jimm, %0=jimm) => NOT FOUND (0)
> map_lookup(host, simutronics.com, %0=simutronics.com) => simutronics.com.
> (0)
> map_lookup(dequote, jimm, %0=jimm) => NOT FOUND (0)
> jimm at simutronics.com... deliverable: mailer cyrusv2, user jimm

Mailertable *is not* consulted => most likely  simutronics.com is on list of
local email domains (mailertable *is not* consulted for local email domains)
Sendmail selects "local" mailer set by the following line in *.mc file:
	define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl

To get list of local email domains use:
echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt

> mailbox:# sendmail -d60.5 -bv blahvomadsf
> map_lookup(dequote, jimm, %0=jimm) => NOT FOUND (0)
> map_lookup(dequote, blahvomadsf, %0=blahvomadsf) => NOT FOUND (0)
> blahvomadsf... deliverable: mailer cyrusv2, user blahvomadsf

You see the line below at work:
	define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl

> mailbox:# sendmail -d60.5 -bv blahvomadsf at simutronics.com
> map_lookup(dequote, jimm, %0=jimm) => NOT FOUND (0)
> map_lookup(host, simutronics.com, %0=simutronics.com) => simutronics.com.
> (0)
> map_lookup(dequote, blahvomadsf, %0=blahvomadsf) => NOT FOUND (0)
> blahvomadsf at simutronics.com... deliverable: mailer cyrusv2, user blahvomadsf

See description after test 1.

> sendmail.mc
> --------------
> [...]
> FEATURE(`mailertable')dnl
> # DOMAIN(generic)dnl
> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl
> FEATURE(`mrs')dnl
> FEATURE(`mrs_cyrus')dnl
> MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`CYRUSV2', `-A5')dnl
> MAILER(`cyrusv2')dnl
> [...]
>
> [...]
> --------
> mailertable entry
>
> simutronics.com mrs_cyrus_mailertable:error:5.1.1:550 User unknown

Fixes:
A) Stop sendmail "automagically" add names to list of local email domains set
DontprobeInterfaces option to True.
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/tweaking_config.html#confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES
In such case you will have to configure list of local email domains
"manually". How to add domains to list of local email domains is described
(among other things) at http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.5
Make sure that simutronics.com is not listed as local email domain

OR

B) Do not play with Dontprobeinterfaces, use "Local Relay" (or "Luser Relay")
variant of RTCyrus2. Remove "define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl" from
*.mc file.

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ]