Authenticate via saslauthd: "generic failure: checkpass failed"

Daniel Stellwagen Daniel.Stellwagen at brunata-muenchen.de
Thu Aug 12 08:24:22 EDT 2004

Hi Jacob,

sorry that I sent the first mail only to you.

Jacob Friis Larsen wrote:

> I am trying to make cyrus authenticate via saslauthd.
>
> The problem is that when using "sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd" I get
> "generic failure: checkpass failed".
> If I use "sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop" it's working.
>
> Since I only see SQL queries in /var/log/mysql/mysql.log when using
> auxprop I guess that the problem is between cyrus, saslauthd and or pam.

I had a similar problem and it was resolved after creating the needed
auth_file in my pam-directory:

I use pam_ldap for imap and i created a file imap in /etc/pam.d which
contains:

#%PAM-1.0
auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

There are a lot more possibilites in a pam-file but I don't know/need
more ;-)

I hope it helps.
d a n i e l