Authenticate via saslauthd: "generic failure: checkpass failed"

Jacob Friis Larsen jfl at list.idg.dk
Thu Aug 12 08:43:31 EDT 2004

>> I am trying to make cyrus authenticate via saslauthd.
>>
>> The problem is that when using "sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd" I get
>> "generic failure: checkpass failed".
>> If I use "sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop" it's working.
>>
>> Since I only see SQL queries in /var/log/mysql/mysql.log when using
>> auxprop I guess that the problem is between cyrus, saslauthd and or pam.
>>
> I had a similar problem and it was resolved after creating the needed
> auth_file in my pam-directory:
>
> I use pam_ldap for imap and i created a file imap in /etc/pam.d which
> contains:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
> account sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

I don't think that's it as I have the appropiate pam files
(/etc/pam.d/imap, /etc/pam.d/smtp, /etc/pam.d/pop, /etc/pam.d/sieve):

auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=xxx passwd=xxx host=localhost db=cyrus
table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
logtable=log logmsgcolumn=msg logusercolumn=user loghostcolumn=host
logpidcolumn=pid logtimecolumn=time

account required pam_mysql.so user=xxx passwd=xxx host=localhost
db=cyrus table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password
crypt=1 logtable=log logmsgcolumn=msg logusercolumn=user
loghostcolumn=host logpidcolumn=pid logtimecolumn=time

But thanks :)
Jacob