Virtdomain question

Michael Obster michael at obster.org
Sun Aug 15 17:04:22 EDT 2004

Hi,

as I know, virtual domains should be handled by a MTA, Cyrus is a MDA which only
have the mailboxes itself. So you only have an user without any domain. That
thing you perhaps want to have are logins with a realm, but this has nothing to
do with the usernames, because duplicate usernames are also not possible. But
I'm not sure about this point.

A better more flexible solution would be a set of users which are mapped on the
virtual domains. There is also a system with mysql support available which I'm
using. See http://www.web-cyradm.org/docs.html
A solution with Postfix is relative easy. Also other MTAs are supported. Perhaps
you get a better insight of this topic by reading the documentations of this
project.

They are using PAM to authenticate, but that is not the only way you can do
that. There is also a sql implementation in sasl itself (but I have no
experience with it). A friend of me (who is running the sasl-sql thing) only
said that this not very trivial to configure cause of spare documentation. But
this also true for PAM on other operating system than Linux.

Cheers,

Michael Obster
mailto:michael at obster.org
--