Cyrus IMAP/POP authentication against LDAPv3 (Max OS X Server)

uli at spielviel.de uli at spielviel.de
Tue Aug 17 09:14:20 EDT 2004

Hi list,

first of all, I am relatively new to kerberos and authentication things so
please be patient with me :)

We are running a Mac OS X Server which is providing directory services to
other mac clients. As I understand authentication is done using kerberos
and directory lookups are made using a ldap server.
I now want to set up cyrus imapd and pop3d on a linux machine. User
authentication should be made against the kerberos server. Users should be
able to login using plaintext (and optionally kerberos) - this is
important.
I found some incomplete howtos which address parts of my problem but I was
not able to set up a working configuration.
I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point me to some good
documentation and howtos adressing my setup. Primarily I need to know
which SASL authentication daemon and method to use (auxprop,saslauthd/pam,
saslauthd/ldap,...) and how to configure it correctly.

Thanks in advance

Uli