saslauthd problems causes cyradm coredump

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Wed Aug 18 06:01:16 EDT 2004

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Simon Matter wrote:
>
>> > sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>
>> Maybe you should add this here:
>> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>
> Thanks, getting closer:
>
> cyradm works, so I am confused by the following error with imtest:
>
> top# imtest -u cyrus localhost
> S: * OK top.example.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.8 server ready
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+
> MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
> CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
> THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED
> S: C01 OK Completed
> Please enter your password:
> C: L01 LOGIN root {6}
> S: + go ahead
> C: <omitted>
> S: L01 NO Login failed: generic failure
> Authentication failed. generic failure
> Security strength factor: 0
>
> imapd.log:
> Aug 18 00:47:17 top imap[33862]: accepted connection
> Aug 18 00:47:20 top imap[33862]: badlogin: localhost.example.com \
>    [::1] plaintext cyrus SASL(-1): generic failure: checkpass failed

I don't know what it means. However,
- are you sure cyrus-imapd can access the saslauthd socket ( like
/var/run/saslauthd/mux)
- did you configure the different facilities in pam, like /etc/pam.d/imap?

If you simply want to use shadow instead of pam, starting saslauthd with
'-a shadow' should do it.

Simon