Setting up imaps with cyrus

Eric Schwartz emschwar at ericschwartz.us
Thu Aug 26 23:32:25 EDT 2004

hanging on connecting over port 993.

I have cyrus working fine over port 143, but for security reasons, I
don't open that port to the big bad Internet.  I'd like to get it
working with imaps, so I can securely access my mail from anywhere.  I
followed the instructions here:

http://www.irbs.net/internet/info-cyrus/0207/0265.html

to create my CA, keys, and set up cyrus to point to the right bits.

I imported the cacert.pem file created in that process into mozilla
thunderbird (my current preferred client), and it seems to have come in
properly (but I'm not sure how to tell, other than the imported CA cert
has the same info I provided when I created it).

The problem is, when I tell thunderbird to connect using SSL on port
993, it just hangs, and never displays a password prompt.  I confess to
not quite understanding SSL, so if there are some obvious steps
somewhere to debugging this I should follow, or a FM I should R, please
point me at it.

Thanks for any help,

-=Eric