virtual domains question

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Fri Apr 30 10:14:09 EDT 2004

Andrzej Filip said:

> 2) Another alternative:
> Turn on aliases on cyrusv2d mailer (add F=A flag)
>
> *.mc file:
> dnl cyrusv2 release B - http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/cyrusv2.html
> MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`CYRUSV2D',`+A')
> MAILER(`cyrusv2')
>
> aliases file:
> first.last at virt.domain.com:  username at virt.domain.com
>
> P.S.
> You can make sendmail check cyrus mailbox presence when replying to
> "RCPT TO:" - http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html

I'm having a bit of a problem with the above tht I hope I can get some
help with.  I realize that it's only marginally related to Cyrus IMAP, but
the server is in the mix so I thought I would start here for help.

I'm using cyrus-imapd 2.2.3, sendmail 8.12.11, and MailScanner 4.26.8.

I've recently started getting mail bounced back to non-existent users in
my domain (I.E. returned spam) so I implemented the check described in the
above link.  For checking the presence of a mailbox, it works fine and
these bounced messages will be rejected immediatly, even for my virtual
domains.

My problem is that I'm also using MailMan 2.0.13 to host some email lists
for the virtual domains.  Mail for these lists is usually resolved in the
aliases file to go through a mailman command:
  listname at virtdomain:  "|wrapper post listname"

With that entry (and all the others necessary for the list) in the aliases
file, sendmail complains about "cannot alias non-local names".  Various
searches point to the 'A' flag that Andrzej mentions above.  I added that
in, with no change in results.  If I remove the domain name from the
alias:
   listname:  "|wrapper post listname"

I no longer get the "cannot alias" complaints from sendmail, but now the
mail is failing because there is no actual imap mailbox for the mail
lists.

I've gone around on this a few times and probably gotten myself totally
confused.  Do I have an incompatible mix of features that I'm trying to
implement or do I just have something totally hosed in the configuration.

Thanks in advance.
    /dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey