Murder question

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Apr 2 14:37:42 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 02:22:36PM -0500, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
> > If I understand correctly, some strangeness may happen between the time
> > the connection is lost and reestablished, like user creating folders but
> > not seeing them right away.  Considering that, would'nt it be a good
> > idea to have that value very low (like 1) to minimize the loss of
> > service ?
>
> Only if you want your mupdate process spinning trying to reconnect.  In
> all likelihood, if the mupdate server crashes, then no one is doing any
> database updates *and* it won't be up again immediately.

Well, what I mean is that there is a time window where mailbox operation
front the frontend would succeed, but the outcome not received by the
frontend.  Example :

1. MUPDATE master down, frontend loose connection
2. MUPDATE master up again
3. frontend issue CREATE
4. backend RESERVE then CREATE succeed
5. MUA (or whatever) look for new folder, can't see it.
6. frontend reconnected to MUPDATE master
7. frontend receive update and now see new folders

I am interested in minimizing the time between 2 and 6, to avoid 5.

Thanks for your insights!

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus