Signal 11 with mupdate master and other funny things

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu Apr 1 14:46:34 EST 2004

Hi,

I have three errors which I do not know if they are related in any way.
The first two concern DIGEST-MD5 authentication.  In the mupdate master
log file, I have the two following error frequently (about a 1000 time
per day), on an apparently random pattern :

Apr  1 10:59:34 mupdate mupdate[31532]: badlogin: frontend.example.com[192.168.1.1] DIGEST-MD5 SASL(-13): authentication failure: nonce changed: authentication aborted

Apr  1 10:59:34 mupdate mupdate[31534]: badlogin: frontend.example.com[192.168.1.1] DIGEST-MD5 SASL(-13): authentication failure: required parameters missing

>From what I can gather, authentication attempt are coming from
lmtpproxyd on either of our two frontends.  As I can see, the only
effect is to slow down mail delivery but I plan to fix that by moving to
CRAM-MD5 at next scheduled restart.

The other problem I have is much more serious and have caused a *lot* of
downtime lately.  The mupdate process on the mupdate master server crash
at random with a signal 11.  This happenned 6 time in the past 3.5
months.  The only message I can see in the log is :

Mar 26 17:10:31 mupdate master[768]: process 772 exited, signaled to death by 11

This is with cyrus-imapd 2.1.16 compiled against cyrus-sasl 2.1.15,
running on RedHat 7.3.  The only patch used here is the munge8bit
patch, which I don't think would interfere with the mupdate process.

Any idea what is causing the signal 11 ?  I wonder if it could be
related to the first two issue in any way.

I am currently writing a mechanism to watch over the mupdate service and
page/restart the service int he event of a failure.  Would there be a
way to have master monitor its children and restart mupdate on failure ?

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus